The village of Brighstone enjoys a favourable position midway along the 12 mile stretch of The Isle Of Wight’s south west coastline.
There is evidence of early settlements as far back as the bronze and iron ages although this evidence is confined to burial sites discovered on the downs to the north of the village.
Later the Romans certainly found the area to their liking, testimony of this being the discovery of the remains of a significant farmstead building of the period 200 to 400 AD.
The early 1900’s saw improvements to existing roads, The Military Road along the coast was opened to the public which made direct access to Brighstone possible.
In 1990 the parish celebrated the 800th anniversary of the church of St Mary in Brighstone. Originally a Norman church with no tower, no chancel or chapel. The tower and the south aisle were built at the end of the 15th century. The old beams which span the roof are believed to have come from a ship wreck and one of them is carved with the date 1664 and the initials of Thomas Wavell and Joseph Bull, church wardens at the time.
Through most of the 19th century, the then small community had two public houses, The Five Bells and The New Inn, both standing side by side in the village centre, The New Inn was an earlier name for the present Three Bishops whereas the Five Bells ceased business at the end of the 1914 – 1918 war.